Emmanuel “Chivo” Lubezki, ASC, AMC, is a highly acclaimed cinematographer who has been recognized worldwide for his accomplishments and is the recipient of numerous awards, including Academy Awards for Gravity and Birdman, the Revenant and five additional Academy Award nominations, a BAFTA, and two ASC Award.
Chivo is a frequent collaborator with fellow Mexican filmmaker and friend Alfonso Cuarón. His highly acclaimed film Children of Men utilized a number of new technologies and distinctive cinematography techniques. Cuarón and Chivo continued to break cinematographic and technological ground with Gravity, starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. Lubezki has also collaborated with Terrence Malick on The New World, The Tree of Life, and To The Wonder. Chivo most recently shot The Revenant, directed by Alejandro González Iñárritu, starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hardy.
In his commercial DP career, he has collaborated with top directors such as Mark Romanek, David Fincher, Traktor and was distinguished the world over for his contribution to Alejandro González Iñárritu's award winning Nike "Write the Future".
After signing with Park Pictures in 2011, Chivo made his commercial directorial debut with a Powerade campaign for Wieden + Kennedy, and has since directed spots for Visa, Samsung, Coca-Cola, and most recently directed Apple “Your Verse”.
- 10/16/2017 Park Pictures Shortlisted for 10 Ciclope Awards
- 03/03/2016 Emmanuel Lubezki on the cover of Variety for his triple crown Oscar win
- 02/29/2016 ‘Revenant’ Cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki Sets Record with Oscar Win
- 02/16/2016 Emmanuel Lubezki Wins ASC Award and BAFTA for ‘The Revenant’
- 01/20/2016 Tom McCarthey & Emmanuel Lubezki nominated in the 2016 Oscars
- 01/08/2016 Emmanuel Lubezki is nominated for a BAFTA for Cinematography